Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)

To: ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 05:10:05 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 04:36:23AM -0700, Ben Webb wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 04:24:34AM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > From README.borders_patch lines 34
> > Currently, the only non-cosmetic effects of the borders are:
> >  (1) in the placement of workers on city tiles. A worker may not be placed
> >      in the territory of another nation.
> >
> > So this means borders are not in effect for any military operations right
> > now?
>
> That's right, yes. First we need agreement on the actual positioning of
> the borders, which as you can probably tell from the surrounding
> discussion, is not finalised yet. In SMAC, moving military units into
> territory controlled by another nation tends to get them a bit annoyed;
> building a city within that territory is generally considered an act of
> war. We haven't implemented this yet (I'm not sure exactly what the
> state of diplomacy is in Freeciv at the moment) but the latter should be
> relatively straightforward. What other kinds of "military operations"
> were you thinking of?

I wouldn't allow somebody I'm in cease fire or peace with to enter my
territory with military units. Transports with Caravans on it, or explorers
can be allowed.

This was a good prevention from surprise attacks.

"Not allow" means "not possible" here.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/