Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 04:36:23 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 04:24:34AM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> From README.borders_patch lines 34
> Currently, the only non-cosmetic effects of the borders are:
>  (1) in the placement of workers on city tiles. A worker may not be placed
>      in the territory of another nation.
>
> So this means borders are not in effect for any military operations right
> now?

That's right, yes. First we need agreement on the actual positioning of
the borders, which as you can probably tell from the surrounding
discussion, is not finalised yet. In SMAC, moving military units into
territory controlled by another nation tends to get them a bit annoyed;
building a city within that territory is generally considered an act of
war. We haven't implemented this yet (I'm not sure exactly what the
state of diplomacy is in Freeciv at the moment) but the latter should be
relatively straightforward. What other kinds of "military operations"
were you thinking of?

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"The Belle of New Orleans tried to show me once how to tango"