Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3664) Server doesn't react while send_all_info(&pc

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3664) Server doesn't react while send_all_info(&pconn->self);
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:01:27 -0800

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 08:21:28PM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> [vasc - Tue Mar 11 03:59:42 2003]:
>
> All this talk is making me consider several approaches to completely
> remake the Freeciv network protocol or a substancial part of the same.
>
> However I doubt I have the time for implementing this.
>
> I'm in the process of finishing the GTK+ 2.0 client port which is some
> 60% complete at the moment. I still have the new metaserver code in the
> backburner.
>
> To remake the Freeciv network protocol we also need *real* hard info on
> *real* games on civserver. Something like graphs displaying the amount
> of packets sent vs time and the amount of data sent vs time.
> With the packets classified into the appropriate types.

For a start change
  #define PACKET_SIZE_STATISTICS 0
  #define PACKET_SIZE_STATISTICS 1
in common/packets.c.

Also take a look at the subject "bandwidth" last November. Data was
posted in this thread. A lot has been done and the problems are quite
clear understood.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers