Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3664) Server doesn't react while send_all_info(&pc

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3664) Server doesn't react while send_all_info(&pconn->self);
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:56:25 -0800

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:06:12PM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > Can't the buffer send the data without blocking the other players?
>
> If you allow the other players to continue playing they will cause the
> game state to change and trigger even more data sends to the player in
> question. The guy on the slow connection is having enough problems
> without being spammed even more. You have to *stop* the data pileup at
> some point.

Here I disagree. You get a huge amount of data at reconnect and a big
amount at turn done but small in normal playing. So if after a
reconnect the excessive data is saved in same buffers at the server
and the server tried to send the data in regular intervals (after each
request from another player) there are high chances that the slow
client got all data till the next new-turn. If however the new-turns
are in a 5s intervall it wouldn't probably have a chance.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    -- Arthur C. Clarke