Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3664) Server doesn't react while send_all_info(&pconn-

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3664) Server doesn't react while send_all_info(&pconn->self);
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:06:12 -0800

[ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Mon Mar 10 19:21:45 2003]:

> Tried it out with my connection 5 secs for a 200x100 map. (No units)

Cities (especially on players using ICS tactics) and units take a lot of
space as well.

What is taking 5 secs for you can take a minute for some poor loser in
an analog modem. I get 4 KBps with luck and a favourable wind in my
modem. Some people get 2-3 KBps.

> Can't the buffer send the data without blocking the other players?

If you allow the other players to continue playing they will cause the
game state to change and trigger even more data sends to the player in
question. The guy on the slow connection is having enough problems
without being spammed even more. You have to *stop* the data pileup at
some point.

> With the current solution some players need > 1 minute to reconnect
> and the usuall responsetime for an action in normal game is < 1 sec.

Sending data takes time and if the other guy is on a slow connection...
Since the Freeciv protocol is synchronous either you compress the data
more (up to a certain limit) or insert waitstates.
You can't drop data like in a video streaming server where losing some
frames is of little consequence.

> People don't like to wait + they want to know what happens. And they
> want to see if they are the only people who have the problem or all.

When flush_packets causes slowdowns *everyone* gets slowed down. So it
is fair if annoying.

> Think at least the chatline should work during the long reconnects
> from some players.

This is more special casing. I don't like it.

The server could send a message to the players each time flush_packets
is issued. Do you think this would be useful?

If you don't want players on slow connections cramping your style just:
/set netwait 0

Just don't complain if noone is fast enough to re-connect. ;-)