Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3664) Server doesn't react while send_all_info(&pconn-

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3664) Server doesn't react while send_all_info(&pconn->self);
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:59:42 -0800

[ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Mar 11 00:28:10 2003]:

> I don't like things that are fair like this. In quakeworld people with
> bad pings only lowered there own fun, but not the fun from other
> people (ok in 4on4 the fun of their hole team) I think the effect for
> other players should be minimized but it also should be possible for
> people with crap connections to play.

Freeciv is *not* quakeworld. In Quake every player already has the maps.

The only relevant data to send are player positions, gun aim and shots.
Much simpler than Freeciv. The world state is much, much smaller.

Also in Quake the player usually cannot see the whole world at once. The
server can avoid sending data on things the player cannot see.
In Freeciv you can see the whole bloody map at once if you use tinydent
and have a hi-res display! The mini-map is omnipresent! You can jump
anywhere in the map with one mouse-click!

True, Quake sends updates a lot more than Freeciv does, every 40 ms or so.

So they must use tricks to enable dial-up play. The clients interpolate
past movements and the server drops packets. Hence the player 'jumping'
action whereby a player vanishes misteriously from its spot to magically
reappear somewhere else. Such tricks are often used in real-time action
games but would you like seeing that in a strategy game?