[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3550) Partial buy production

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3550) Partial buy production
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:46:11 -0800

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:59:46AM -0800, Rafa³ Bursig wrote:
> Dnia 2003.02.27 17:49 ChrisK@xxxxxxxx napisa³(a):

> > 2) changes the rules, makes it more complicated for nearly no good.
> > Indeed, I usually *want* the additional shields, they help me building
> > the next item (in case of a unit) cheaper. "All needed" ist not clearly
> > defined because it may very well be that the production is lower than
> > expected; you don't get the building the next turn then. Last, the
> > computation is far from clear, because the costs are increasing,
> > especially with units and wonders.
> >
> I'm little missunderstand you... what do you want buy cheaper.
> When you buy something you can't change productions.
> This options should give you chance buy only so much shields that you
> need to finish unit/building in next turn.

If I pay the full price for a unit, the next turn I have the current surplus
on my shields account for the *next* unit. These shields are very valuable,
when I decide to buy (again), approximately the costs are twice as high as
for the shields I spared with (2) the turn before.

From http://www.freeciv.org/manual/trident/game-economy.html :
---
The formula for units is: twice the difference between total production
needed and the accumulated production points plus the square of that
difference divided by twenty. The formula for everything else (buildings,
wonders, etc.) is: twice the difference between the total production needed
and the accumulated production points. The cost is multiplied by two if the
project is a wonder.
---

So the advantage of what you suggest depends on how the calculation is done
for a 'partial' buy.

> This is implemented in AC and I use it often but I like that somethings
> will be made automaticaly (  2)  ) I don't like calc it manualy all the
> time.

If I said above, the (automatically) calculation can fail. The CMA does
its changes at any time, so the production of a city can go down after you
have bought.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/