Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] rfc: default production

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] rfc: default production
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:29:51 +0000 (GMT)

Currently, whenever someone has built something and the worklist is
empty, the server queries the AI for the next (default) building target.

This is bad because it requires a lot of AI tentacles into the human
player code, which both creates fertile soil for bugs and also stops the
AI code from being properly optimized for AIs. And it doesn't really give
you good advice anyway.

So I want to remove it. (Yeah, I'm in that mood today.)

Instead, I suggest this simple rule:

if (was producing unit)
        continue producing that type of unit
else if (was producing building and can build capitalization)
        switch to capitalization
else
        /* eg civ2 ruleset */
        switch to first FirstBuild unit (phalanx etc)

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra