Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] per: Adding generalised calendar. Calend

To: coppensbart@xxxxx
Cc: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] per: Adding generalised calendar. Calendars can now ... (PR#1964)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:31:40 +0200

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 01:23:30PM +0200, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Friday 23 August 2002 22:03, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > What complicates things immensely is when you require a calendar to handle
> > units of time that are different than mm:dd:yy hh:mm:ss system.
> >
> > -mike
> I came up with this list with possible problems and things worth paying
> attention to, I don't know of these count as 'different':
>
>  -Leap years: If a scenario uses 1 day / turn, there should be the
> possibility
> of leap years. This could make this scenario more realistic, not only if it
> were a scenario using 'normal' leap years (29th Februar), but scenarios using
> complicated systems should also be possible.
> An example of other systems is, for examle, Tolkien's Elven calendar. They
> have 3 'middle-days'. Every twelth year, these days are doubled, making a
> total of 6 middle-days that year. Also, every third yén, there were only 3
> middle-days.
>
>  -Different lengths of weeks, months, years, etc.
> This one seems to be very obvious: some cultures have longer or shorter
> weeks,
> months, etc. For example, some ancient cultures (like the Celts iirc) use the
> synodical (29 1/2 days) or the sidereal (27 1/3) month based on the
> movement/position of the moon.
> The Hobbits use months months of 30 days, and weeks of 6 days. Cultures with
> different length of years should also be possible (think of a scenario on
> another planet, like Mars)
>
>  -Naming days, weeks, years, etc.
> This should be trivial to implement, but I wanted to remind you of the
> possibility since most cultures have different names for a year or day.
> Especially the months may vary (again, for an example, see Tolkiens works)
> Also, it would be nice to name special days, like Christmas, Easter, etc.
>
>  -Adding non-month days
> I don't know if this should be an extra option (it could be implemented using
> extra months), but (again) the Hobbits have some days that do not really
> belong to any month: Yule, Lithe and Overlithe. I can imagine some real
> cultures using these days, too.
>
>  -Stardates
> This is the only one that really qualifies the different timesystem you were
> asking for. Stardates are used in Star Trek. There is much to find on the web
> explainig this system. Explaining it here would take too long. Pay attention
> though, there have been used 2 different types of stardates, so don't
> implement one type and don't use the other, having the two different types in
> a scenario would be very great!
>
>  -BC-AD
> Now the dates use a (so it seems) hardcoded BC and AD. I suggest making this
> too editable. Most cultures didn't know about Christ, or some will have their
> own major event to add to their years, so adding this seems pointless. Take
> for example the Elves. They have Ages, being the First Age (FA), the Second
> [...]

<ad for me>
  All this can be done with my model.
</ad for me>

Or at least it can be implemented without any major changes in the
internals. So while adding a new calendar still requires writing new
code this is limited to three functions which need to be rewritten for
a new calendar. And you don't have to change code at the client.

The patch. Changes:
 - remove game.year
 - add dates (a string representation of a turn)
 - replace game.endyear with game.enddate
 - add game.startdate
 - add game.calendar
 - add two calendars (a classic freeciv one and a wargame style one)
 the latter is just to show what is possible
 - remove almost all references to year (in any form)
 - add a function turn_to_date which yields a date (various forms are
 available)
 - change unit of onsetbarbarian from year to turn

The patch is for a CVS before Ben's patch got applied.

Open issue is how many and how general should the calendars are? The
classic freeciv calendar (calendar==0) has a quite hardcoded behaviour
with the spaceshipparts. So I don't see a chance to get this easy
configurable with rulesets. Also because the next one may want a
certain year-step by another event (each player has build a certain
unit, a certain player has build a wonder,...).

So with the included calendar==1 you get turn descriptions like:
  March 23, 10 BC, 00:00
  March 23, 10 BC, 00:10
  March 23, 10 BC, 00:50
  March 23, 10 BC, 01:00
and so on.

Every other possibility mentioned above can be implemented with a new
calendar (which required minimal code changes). For the case above for
example you only have to code this function:

+static const char *cal_wargame_turn_to_date(int turn,
+                                           enum date_format date_format)
+{
+  static char buffer[MAX_DATE_LEN];
+
+  switch (date_format) {
+  case DATE_SAVEFILENAME:
+    my_snprintf(buffer, sizeof(buffer), "%03d", turn);
+    break;
+  case DATE_NUMERIC:
+  case DATE_BC:
+    my_snprintf(buffer, sizeof(buffer), _("March 23, 10 BC, %02d:%d0"),
+               turn / 6, turn % 6);
+    break;
+  default:
+    assert(0);
+  }
+
+  return buffer;
+}

Implementing a solution which solves all the possible models mentioned
above and only requires ruleset changes and no code change is IMHO a
big nightmare.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "The very concept of PNP is a lovely dream that simply does not translate to