Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] per: Adding generalised calendar. Calend

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] per: Adding generalised calendar. Calendars can now ... (PR#1964)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:33:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> The idea is that the modpack authors describe the calendar in detail
> and than this calendar is put into the tree. So it will be in the next
> release or people can use the CVS.

Person A comes to the list, claiming that he is writing a modpack that
needs a specific calendar B. He can't write C, though.

So what happens next?

1. He is ignored. Every coder is busy with his own pet project. He goes
away and there is no modpack.

2. Someone writes him a calendar. There is some discussion, maybe some
early versions of the modpack are posted. The calendar is put into cvs.
Time passes. By the time the next release is done the modpack is forgotten
and its author is busy elsewhere.

3. Someone writes him a calendar AND the modpack continues to be updated
for a long time.

Which is more probable? I think 1 is a lot more probable than 2, and 2 is
a lot more probable than 3, leading to

4. CVS gets full of calendar code that nobody uses but there is always
_someone_ who says "oh it can be useful" or "I play that modpack
sometimes" so the code cannot be removed. The maintainers get wary of
adding even more calendars, leading to ... see point 1 above.

Yours pessimistically
Per