Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: movement

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: movement
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:44:07 +0200

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 12:39:20AM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 05:41:32PM -0500, Jason Short wrote:
> > Christian Knoke wrote:
> >
> > > Yes. - I've had the same idea like Brandon, with the goto. Implicit
> > > goto for the last (incompleted) move. Only needs to save to MP rest
> > > with the goto route. No need for extra grafic IMHO. Uhm, but we want
> > > to remove that server goto, right?
> >
> > I don't think an implicit GOTO is necessary.  I.e. the game should not
> > FORCE you to move in that direction at the start of the next turn.
> > However, you should only get the bonus movement points if you do move in
> > that direction.  I would think adding something like
>
> Forcing is easier to code and present in the client. I don't know a
> nice way to present "you have x bonus points if you move at this
> direction".

The idea to remember partial moves whether or not they are implicit gotos
will also slow everything down, cost more memory, add data to the protocol,
blow up savegames.  It's preferable to use a solution that doesn't
add more state information.

(I can't comment on path finding vs. warmap use.  Isn't the warmap supposed
to be replaced with path finding?)

--
Reinier