Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: irc summary

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: irc summary
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:18:29 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 01:34:17PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:08:21AM -0500, Anthony J. Stuckey wrote:
> >
> > >   Since *EVERYBODY* seems to agree that the partial-movement-points-fails
> > > patch is a good idea, I think the issue of absolute compatbility is
> > > already
> > > settled as a no.
>
> Hhm, I'm ambivalent on this. First I think it doesn't harm, to remove
> the uncertainty about a move's success. And if it's good for the AI ...
>
> But then it means every unit can move 2 tiles on the road plus one
> off-road per turn. The advantage of alpine troops is reduced. The diffi-
> culty of terrain changes, i.e. mountains are much easier to climb on.
> Not to say civ 2 compatibility, it's on the roadmap at least.

Personally, I think that full civ2 compatibility should get stuffed.

As for alpines becoming less valuable, we can take a middle ground between
civ3 and civ2 with the following rule:

a move costing move_cost will succeed if
* the unit hasn't moved this turn
or
* unit->move_points > move_cost * COEFF

This will make moves
* fully deterministic, so AI and path finding will cope well
* customizable: COEFF = 0 corresponds to civ3 rules, COEFF = 1/2
corresponds (on average) to the current rule.

If COEFF is greater than epsilon > 0, it means that a unit with 1/3 MP
left will no longer be able to climb a hill, let alone a mountain.

Again, personally I am in favour of COEFF = 0 once and for all, as
more complicated rules do not have a good effect on the gameplay.
And there are other ways of making Alpines better, if desired.

But I just wanted to mention the above possibility.

G.