Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: console cleanup 3 (PR#1749)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: console cleanup 3 (PR#1749)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:14:14 +0200

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 05:39:56AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > Ok. But can you explain to me how crash is useful? This eludes me.
> >
> > If you want to inspect some server state you can either add freelogs
> > or crash the server and use gdb. The latter is useful if you want/have
> > to work interactive.
>
> Can't you do this with kill -SEGV <process>?
>
> > > This feature should be part of the improved game startup work (ie move
> > > this into the client).
> >
> > Why? The server solution will be clean and simple. The client solution
> > has to cope with multiple clients sending start for example.
>
> We have to cope with that anyway. I think server autostart is always bad
> behaviour. Players should always have a chance to look around after
> joining and have chance to leave before game starts. Autostart should not
> be encouraged. If you want some kind of fancy autostart for a single
> player (which is the only scenario you have described which makes sense)

> then this is exactly the sort of problem improved game starting was
> thought to solve. IMHO.

We are here talking about a shortcut. I want to avoid to type
"start". In the improved game starting I have to even click around.

Who are you doing client development? I start the server "./ser -f
..." than the clien in the next xterm "./civ -t trident -a -n chris"
;) (in the last time I debugged a lot of savegames from
Christian). Wait for the autoconnect. Type "st". The autoconnect was
an improvement. I would even like the auto_start as a command line
option to leave the savegames untouched.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Of course, someone who knows more about this will correct me if I'm