Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: console cleanup 3 (PR#1749)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: console cleanup 3 (PR#1749)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:58:20 +0200

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 04:52:28AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 07:08:20PM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > > This is a reversal of my previous console cleanup patch from December.
> > > Instead of fixing rfcstyle, it nixes it. Along with the bathwater goes the
> > > remaining "undocumented" commands "log" and "crash" as well. Also,
> >
> > I used crash in the past. It should stay.
>
> Ok. But can you explain to me how crash is useful? This eludes me.

If you want to inspect some server state you can either add freelogs
or crash the server and use gdb. The latter is useful if you want/have
to work interactive.

> > > "rulesout" is set to appear only in debug mode. This is only because I was
> > > uncertain if total removal would be acceptable (it is totally useless
> > > code, IMHO, and big too). Finally the option "maxplayers" is removed,
> > > since this is rarely (if ever) used for anything but civserver abuse.
> >
> > I can remember using maxplayers to automatically start the server if I
> > connect my one client. But this doesn't work with current CVS. Have I
> > dreamed this up? If yes can we add an auto_start option?
>
> This feature should be part of the improved game startup work (ie move
> this into the client).

Why? The server solution will be clean and simple. The client solution
has to cope with multiple clients sending start for example.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Reality? That's where the pizza delivery guy comes from!"