[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Artillery Patch

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Artillery Patch
From: Kenn Munro <kenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Jun 2002 23:22:16 -0400

I don't like the idea of land units being able to attack sea units.  The
Earth's circumference is 40,000 km.  With the default xsize/ysize
(80/50), that's 500x400 km per square.  It isn't very realistic that a
catapult, or even longer range artillery, could attack a ship at a
random location in that square.

On small-scale maps, it might be more realistic.  But even if the
artillery could reach, the ship would likely be able to retreat without
sustaining major damage.  This may be where a bombard effect would come
into play.. the artillery could inflict a certain amount of damage on
the ship, without necessarily destroying it.

Kenn