[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Artillery Patch

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kenn Munro <kenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Artillery Patch
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 02:01:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:22:16PM -0400, Kenn Munro wrote:
> > I don't like the idea of land units being able to attack sea units.  The
> > Earth's circumference is 40,000 km.  With the default xsize/ysize
> > (80/50), that's 500x400 km per square.  It isn't very realistic that a
> > catapult, or even longer range artillery, could attack a ship at a
> > random location in that square.

Interesting. And a ship, with shorter range guns, can hit an artillery unit
ashore? Whatever you're smoking,it's pretty good stuff. And think about
artillery units vs riflemen. The very best sniper can't hit a target that's
mroe than a 1k -2k absolute max. And yet a riflemen unit can attack and destroy
an artillery unit. The artillery unit should have much greater range. If a
riflemen unit can attack the squre next to it, the artillery should be able to
attack from 3 squares away. In fact, if we follow your suggestion, units right
next to each other could not fight.

How would one man in a 500x400km square find an enemy riflemen? Pretty futile.

Also, you totally miss the scale of Freeciv. It isn't just one ship, although
that is how it looks. The legion, for example represents a legion unit, being
exactly that many men. That one ship represents a fleet, an infantry unit a
divison etc.

Is it unrealistic that an entire division of artillery will be able to hit a
fleet of ships? I think not. And last time I checked, ships still sank when hit
by shells.

That is the entire reason for the Fog Of War. If you can see a unit, you can
kill it. Just the fact that the unit is within visual range means that
artillery can hit it.

> > On small-scale maps, it might be more realistic.  But even if the
> > artillery could reach, the ship would likely be able to retreat without
> > sustaining major damage.  This may be where a bombard effect would come
> > into play.. the artillery could inflict a certain amount of damage on
> > the ship, without necessarily destroying it.

Bombard effects. No. Never. I've already said I won't be writing a bombardment
patch. Let Freecivers eat cake.

And what is it with retreating. The exact same thing happens when two armies
fight. There has never been a war where every single member of the enemy force
has been killed.

And yet I keep hearing dumb arguments, Artillery can't kill every man.
Ridiculous. No army in the world has ever killed every man in the opposing
army.
Yet land units are not restricted to only dealing out 80% damage etc.

> If we give the range of bombardment per unittype in km. And a tile
> size if the map (450 in the case above). We could calculate
> range_in_tiles=range_in_km/tile_size.
>
>       Raimar
>
> --
>  email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  "Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise"
>     -- Bruce Eckel

Aloha,
RK.

Effective action is always unjust. -Jean Anouilh