[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Artillery Patch

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Artillery Patch
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:02:01 +0200 (MEST)

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> This patch allows units with the F_ARTILLERY flag to attack sea units(only if
> they are next to the tile the artillery unit is on. The artillery unit is
> still
> limited by whatever move type it is). Currently, I've only allowed the
> catapault unit to attack sea units. Version 2 will allow howitzer, cannon,
> artillery to join in the fun.
>
> Please comment on this patch.

I think this ought to be implemented in a more general way. See our
earlier discussion thread on generalising unit capabilities. I suggested
defining unit classes and enumerating all attack capabilities against such
classes, which could be extended to cover terrain as well. Other
possibilities exist, but adding a flag for each kind of can/cannot attack
potentiality does not seem right.

This is something that could well be handled by a "gen. units" patch.

Yours,
Per

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied today, then every
Post-War American president would have to be hanged."
 - Noam Chomsky