[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Artillery Patch

To: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Artillery Patch
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:39:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > This patch allows units with the F_ARTILLERY flag to attack sea units(only
> if they are next to the tile the artillery unit is on. The artillery unit is
> still limited by whatever move type it is). Currently, I've only allowed the
> > catapault unit to attack sea units. Version 2 will allow howitzer, cannon,
> > artillery to join in the fun.
> >
> > Please comment on this patch.
>
> I think this ought to be implemented in a more general way. See our
> earlier discussion thread on generalising unit capabilities. I suggested
> defining unit classes and enumerating all attack capabilities against such
> classes, which could be extended to cover terrain as well. Other
> possibilities exist, but adding a flag for each kind of can/cannot attack
> potentiality does not seem right.

So exactly what were you thinking Per. Do unit classes only contain one unit,
or numerous types of units combining for example sea/air/land units? It's a
great idea. But I think currently working code beats an idea anyday.

I think a flag for each can/not can work. All that is needed are 6 flags:

Can/not attack sea
               air
               land

> This is something that could well be handled by a "gen. units" patch.

Where is the developer for this patch. It's not going to be me. You know very
well that I still haven't finished with Right Def and Portattacks. I don't have
the time for YAP (Yet Another Patch), and I can't do anything even if I wanted
to until bitvectors2 gets into CVS.

I need more flags. It's that simple.

If you want another good idea, could you please replace the current unit defend
effects with a general unit defend effect. I think Ben came up with this.

> Yours,
> Per
>
> "If the Nuremberg laws were applied today, then every
> Post-War American president would have to be hanged."
>  - Noam Chomsky

Aloha,
RK.

If the future navigation system [for interactive networked services on the NII]
looks like something from Microsoft, it will never work. -Chairman of Walt
Disney Television & Telecommunications