[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Getting rid of Isotrident

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Getting rid of Isotrident
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:46:52 -0700

scripsit Raahul Kumar:

> --- Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > If you're interested in not turning people away with the graphics, I
> > think two things are important:
> >
> > 1) Accuracy -- having a BTR-style armoured personnel carrier for `alpine
> > troops' (hires) or a SAM system for `howitzer' (cevo) will immediately
> > disturb someone who knows what alpine troops or howitzers are in Real
> > Life (tm).
> >
> > 2) Not looking `cheap' or cartoony.  A very stylized look is good for
> > clarity's sake, and may be preferable from a usability standpoint.
> > However, if people don't get past the first impression, the usability is
> > wasted.  In this respect, the terrain and the Explorer and Settler icons
> > are most critical.
>
> Interesting. I like the graphics with cartoony effect. You're right about the
> individual tileset effects. You have valid points on 1.) SAM system for
> howitzer. Daniel?
>
> As for 2.) I don't know what you are driving at. Be more specific.

The cartoony effect (à la [iso]trident or isoengels cities) is not a bad
thing in and of itself.  The original Civ had extrememly stylized
graphics.  They weren't very attractive (IMHO) but clearly distinguished
the different types of unit.  By `cartoony' I mean low-detail,
bright/clear colors, and stylized, BTW.

What I was `driving at' with (2) was that an experienced player might
prefer icons which are easily recognizable and easily distinguished,
even when crowded together on a busy map.  The `eye candy' factor might
be irrelevant.  Think xterm with old-school athena widgets.

A new player, never before exposed to Freeciv, may be impressed by `eye
candy' icons, while he would be turned away by something that reminds
him of 1990-vintage DOS games.  Think Eterm with HR Giger-looking window
adornments and a background bitmap of Laetitia Casta wearing very little
clothing.  It's still just a terminal emulator, but it might get a
19-year-old who's never seen anything but Windows to give Linux a closer
look.

Hmm.  Come to think of it, can we get a Settler unit that looks like
Laetitia Casta in a bikini? ;)

Anyway, does that make any sense?

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul