[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Getting rid of Isotrident

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Getting rid of Isotrident
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:32:03 -0500

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 08:42:55AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 May 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > > Isotrident is not a good choice for the default tileset of Freeciv. It
> > doesn't bring the eyecandy factor to Freeciv. Or as Thue put it, "My brother
> > thought Freeciv was ugly. So I added Isometric view". In the same spirit,
> > don't use Isotrident as the default tileset. I would prefer for there to be
> > Freeciv poll on the issue on the best default tileset.
> >
> > Finally someone who agrees with me :)
>
> :). You already knew that. I have to confess, the only reason I want a poll is
> that I'm certain of the result. I doubt anyone shares Raimar/Mike's taste in
> graphics. New users like eyecandy. I've just learned that apparently most of
> the Freeciv users don't EVER download a new tileset. I'm disillusioned.

hmmph.
I might be amenable to the cevo tileset, but it has been the overwhelming
opinion of the more outspoken that the hires genre is the mark of the
devil. I couldn't agree more.

As to the belief that users don't ever download a tileset, that could very
well be true. We simply need to educate them as well as make it easy as pie
to do. I download winamp skins because they are trivial to install. Perhaps
there is not a similar recognition. also note that "skinning" has become a
lot more mainstream. New users may now be more open to the idea that they
_can_ change tilesets.

An addition to the client help file comes to mind. Perhaps tilesets need to
have their own page on the website accompanied by instructions. We have
people contributing dist rpms. perhaps we could get some people to put
together some tileset rpms.

> I thought our users were smart, and capable of solving their own problems. I
> don't refer to the users on windows/MacOS/Amiga of course. Only our unix
> users.
> But even these guys have let me down.
>
> This leads to a rethink on the sound issue. Per, you should consider putting
> it
> in the stable release. Possibly even CVS.

freeciv is already huge. "people are dumb" is not a good enough rationale
for me. A release containing the stdsounds is good enough for me. A release
containing the whole shebang probably would be alright as well. (But then
we start to get into a situation where people aren't sure exactly what
they're downloading...)

-mike