[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Getting rid of Isotrident

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Getting rid of Isotrident
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:44:25 -0700 (PDT)

<snip>
> > :). You already knew that. I have to confess, the only reason I want a poll
> is that I'm certain of the result. I doubt anyone shares Raimar/Mike's taste
> in graphics. New users like eyecandy. I've just learned that apparently most
> of the Freeciv users don't EVER download a new tileset. I'm disillusioned.
>
> hmmph.
> I might be amenable to the cevo tileset, but it has been the overwhelming
> opinion of the more outspoken that the hires genre is the mark of the
> devil. I couldn't agree more.

OK. But let's not take your opinion or mine. We do have users after all. Let
them decide. A poll on the website would answer all these questions.
If it turns out that Freeciv users are Satan worshippers, we'll ship Hires.

> As to the belief that users don't ever download a tileset, that could very
> well be true. We simply need to educate them as well as make it easy as pie
> to do. I download winamp skins because they are trivial to install. Perhaps
> there is not a similar recognition. also note that "skinning" has become a
> lot more mainstream. New users may now be more open to the idea that they
> _can_ change tilesets.

It is trivial to install. All I do is untar the tileset in the data dir. What
can we do to make it easier?

> An addition to the client help file comes to mind. Perhaps tilesets need to
> have their own page on the website accompanied by instructions. We have
> people contributing dist rpms. perhaps we could get some people to put
> together some tileset rpms.

Sounds great.

> > I thought our users were smart, and capable of solving their own problems.
> I don't refer to the users on windows/MacOS/Amiga of course. Only our unix
> users.
> > But even these guys have let me down.
> >
> > This leads to a rethink on the sound issue. Per, you should consider
> putting it in the stable release. Possibly even CVS.
>
> freeciv is already huge. "people are dumb" is not a good enough rationale
> for me. A release containing the stdsounds is good enough for me. A release
> containing the whole shebang probably would be alright as well. (But then
> we start to get into a situation where people aren't sure exactly what
> they're downloading...)

People are dumb is not a good enough reason for me either ;-). Label the full
release, everything but the kitchen sink. And I am not talking about adding
things into CVS anymore. Raimar has converted me. I am talking strictly about
the stable release.

PS: Does anyone know a way to make CVS use rsync? I hate the way that it sends
the full binary file EVERY single frickin time.

> -mike

Aloha,
RK.

One of the universal rules of happiness is: always be wary of any helpful item
that weighs less than its operating manual.
{Jingo, 1997, Terry Pratchett}