[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Make get_city_*_bonus public

To: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Make get_city_*_bonus public
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 14:39:25 +0100

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:43:16PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:

> I think you are confusing the prerequisites to build something
> with a dependency to run it.

        No, of course I'm not. I am fairly familiar with the code for
both, and they are completely separate in the rulesets (i.e. bldg_req
and effect.cond_bldg, respectively) and the impr-gen implementation.

> Once an improvment is built, it does not depend on others to
> provide its effect. It may get bonus effects because of others,
> but it never loses its basic capability, or its upkeep cost if
> they go away.

        I speak only from knowledge of the Freeciv code base. If this
isn't how buildings in Payciv work, then the rulesets can be easily
tweaked to fix this.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"There is but one step from the grotesque to the horrible."