[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Make get_city_*_bonus public

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Make get_city_*_bonus public
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 18:36:50 +0100

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 05:43:00PM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I can't and wouldn't ensure that the factor is always >=100. It may be
> > quite possible that there is a building which increase the shield
> > output by 50% and reduce the science output by 50%.
>
> Thinking of the future here. Currently you can indeed give such an ironclad
> guarantee. I take it you're thinking about the AC people's patches?

        The impr-gen patches allow an arbitrary scale factor to facilitate
exactly this. (It's needed for, e.g., SMAC's Punishment Sphere, which does
reduce science by 50%.)

> I think this is not a good behaviour. As a player, I would expect that selling
> my marketplace/library/factory would not result in loss of all my other
> improvements along those lines. A buglet. At the very least, if the
> improvement does nothing it should not cost me upkeep.

        You don't lose the other improvements; they simply have no effect.
One solution would be to pop up an alert to tell the player that selling
one building will deactivate others, to confirm the action.

        This behaviour is configurable with impr-gen, of course; you just
tweak the cond_bldg field of the relevant effects.

> I know. I don't like this behaviour. Think about it, all a spy has to do is
> sabotage 1 building and two others are now useless, and a productive science
> city is now worthless.

        Seems pretty reasonable to me, at this level of simulation, though.
A real-life university isn't much use without a library, for example.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"And I hate and I hate and I hate and I hate elevator music"