[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Make get_city_*_bonus public

To: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Make get_city_*_bonus public
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:51:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 05:43:00PM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I can't and wouldn't ensure that the factor is always >=100. It may be
> > > quite possible that there is a building which increase the shield
> > > output by 50% and reduce the science output by 50%.
> >
> > Thinking of the future here. Currently you can indeed give such an ironclad
> > guarantee. I take it you're thinking about the AC people's patches?
>
>       The impr-gen patches allow an arbitrary scale factor to facilitate
> exactly this. (It's needed for, e.g., SMAC's Punishment Sphere, which does
> reduce science by 50%.)
>
> I think this is not a good behaviour. As a player, I would expect that
> selling my marketplace/library/factory would not result in loss of all my
> other improvements along those lines. A buglet. At the very least, if the
> improvement does nothing it should not cost me upkeep.
>
>       You don't lose the other improvements; they simply have no effect.
> One solution would be to pop up an alert to tell the player that selling
> one building will deactivate others, to confirm the action.

That's good. This still doesn't address the issue of spies using sabotage to
take out just one building to leave your city crippled. I'm also not sure if
this is Civ II style. I never noticed that losing one improvement made the
others in the same devel path useless. Why should your mfg plant be useless
just because you lost a factory? It's still there, and still capable of
building
whatever you like.

And if the building does nothing, it should cost nothing. What am I paying two
gold upkeep for? I don't support dole bludgers. In my communist workers
paradise, they work or it's the re-education camps!

>       This behaviour is configurable with impr-gen, of course; you just
> tweak the cond_bldg field of the relevant effects.
>
> > I know. I don't like this behaviour. Think about it, all a spy has to do is
> > sabotage 1 building and two others are now useless, and a productive
> science city is now worthless.
>
>       Seems pretty reasonable to me, at this level of simulation, though.
> A real-life university isn't much use without a library, for example.

Really? I've noticed most universities don't really depend on libraries, they
tend to have their own very extensive collection. It's certainly not the case
that banks rely on marketplaces, or mfg plants on factories.

I also question the reliance between research labs and unis. If anything, the
research done in research labs is never seen again in broad daylight, as it is
patented for the next million years.

>       Ben
> --
> ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
> "And I hate and I hate and I hate and I hate elevator music"

Aloha,
RK.

It was such a relief to be right, even though you knew you'd only got there by
trying every possible way to be wrong.
{Feet of Clay, 1996, Terry Pratchett}