[Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalising units

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalising units
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 14:46:47 +0100

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 11:13:55PM +0200, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>  - it is really useful to be able to break up the unit classes in smaller
> categories in the ruleset instead of using only the categories "air",
> "land", etc, that are hardcoded in the server. For instance the classes
> Missile and Horse should be separated out. This way we can very easily
> implement complex stuff without much overhead

        The impr-gen code currently in CVS goes part of the way towards
solving this problem, by implementing unit classes; at least, Missile,
Nuclear and Helicopter units are separated from Air units. I'm not 100%
happy with this code though - it seems redundant to have unit_move_type,
unit_flag_id, _and_ unit_class_id defined in common/unittype.h.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"There is but one step from the grotesque to the horrible."