[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Re: game.timeout

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Re: game.timeout
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:59:24 -0500

At 09:58 AM 02/03/12 -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:46:16AM +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
[...]
>> > Speaking of capabilities, I have a question about them.  When I
>> > implemented general-topologies, I changed the network protocol and added
>> > capabilities.  Ross has presumably done the same thing, although I
>> > haven't looked at that part of the corecleanups.  The problem is that
>> > the capability can't just be checked when map data is sent, although
>> > this is as far as I've gotten.  For instance, if we're playing on an
>> > iso-rectangular map and an old client connects, it's not sufficient just
>> > to send the map data in the old form.  In actuality, there's no way for
>> > the old client to join the game.

I stole is_earth and redefined it to be map_type with an is_earth bit.

The map data in my version is also still be readable on the old client,
but the relationships between the tiles would not be the same as the
iso-logic would not be in the code. It would be interesting to see how
far it actually managed to process things :-).

>> Speaking of which, how are the general-topologies patches going? Are you
>> working on them? Is Ross working on his? Any chance of getting this in
>> before next release?
>
>Ross may have some time at the end of the month to do some work. I highly
>doubt that general topologies will make it into the next release, which is
>really too bad, but then again, the release schedule is not all that
>precise.

It depends on how much time is spent coding vs debating. You could have a
functional/stable CVS version after one weekend as the lower end. I would
add a month of testing and refinement to this if several people worked at
testing and documenting its rougher edges. There are two existing prototypes
that pretty much do the core job, so it is just a matter of deciding what
needs to be done and doing it. The heavy figuring is done as well as a lot
of the initial testing and shakedown.

This time of course goes to infinity if you apply the Freeciv SOP algorithm.