[Freeciv-Dev] Re: for discussion: ics revisited

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: for discussion: ics revisited
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:22:09 -0500

At 01:13 PM 02/03/18 -0500, Jason Short wrote:
>Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>> This patch limits the usefulness of _only_ playing with inifite city
>> sprawl (ics) as a player strategy, without imposing artificial limitations
>> like notradesize, citymindist and family.
>
>It seems pretty artificial to me...
>
>I always thought the "natural" solution to ICS was to count all workers
>working in a city's radius toward the "unhappiness" for that city, even
>if they belonged to another city.  This would make smallish ICS cities
>be counted as cities several times their size for unhappiness calculations.
>
>jason

Actually the fix is to implement Civ2 waste as a complement to corruption
and perhaps further updating it to have a horizontal population as well
as vertical population factor, i.e. completing the development of core
game elements to restore the balance between the two growth strategies.

Having lots of unproductive size 1 or 2 despotic cities just makes you
an easy indefensible target. Unproductive vertically populated cities can
at least be defended more cheaply :-).

Cheers,
RossW
=====