[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Connection Dialog for Win32

To: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Connection Dialog for Win32
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:55:04 -0800 (PST)

--- Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Raahul Kumar writes:
>  >
>  > --- Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > <snip>
>  >
>  > > Yes, gdk is slow on windows. The problem is that gdk is almost a copy
>  > > of the X11 drawing API. Windows has different drawing primitives.
>  > > One example:
>  > > gdk_gc_set_mask is implemented by dividing the mask into
>  > > rectangles. These rectangles were added as a clip rect to the system.
>  > >
>  >
>  > I read in the recent Alan Cox interview on Slashdot, that Microsoft has
> changed
>  > the licensing terms of the system libraries. Apparently open source
> software is
>  > no longer allowed to link to windows libraries. Any comments?
>
> Ok, let's forbid people to use the windows versions with anything else
> than wine. ;-)

Excellent suggestion. That's a great way to get around Microsoft's stupid
licensing. You only created this to run on wine ;). Here's the links:

The Slashdot link:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/03/07/2138254&mode=thread

The actual ZDNET story:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2106081,00.html

The quote:

But you don't want to create a system where you arbitrarily shut people out --
that's the Microsoft world.

It's actually ironic that, because Microsoft has started putting licences on
Windows libraries now which basically forbid you from writing free or open
source using their Windows libraries. They're specifically trying to shut out
and control. They're monopolists.