[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Connection Dialog for Win32

To: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Connection Dialog for Win32
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 05:42:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Raahul Kumar writes:
>  > Tested on Win98:
> Thanks

No problem. I think a Win32 client is important for attracting more people.
Hopefully, more people = more contributors. The GTK version on Xfree still
seems to be the graphically prettiest client so far.

There are a few things you could do to improve the windows client quicker.
I think the downloads page should always have a link to your latest windows
binary. This would save you the hassle of posting to dev about your latest
binary.

>  >
>  > Clicked on civclient. That successfully started civserver, and correctly
> passed
>  > initial settings. Checked to see if difficulty levels and no of players
> passed
>  > was correct, it passed. I noticed that you cannot seem to change to the
>  > civserver
>  > that is started and adjust the other settings.

This is important. You can still set things in the chat box, I'm just used to
switching to the civserver in an x-term.

> I could not see how to change things like goody huts etc.(Note, I just
> discovered that you can type in set commands at the chatline).
>  >
>  > The city screen is ugly. It looks a mess, and does not match the new city
>  > dialog missing frames?

> You are right, it is still like the old one. I hope, I'll find the
> time to adapt it to the new gtk dialog.

Good. You did nice work, after all writing a whole new gui can't be easy.
Andreas, I'm wondering how well GTK does on windows. Is there anyone providing
a version of freeciv using gtk on windows?

>  > in CVS. When loading games, if you select a scenario like the earth map,
> it does
> So it should popup the new game dialog if there are no players.

It does, saying no players. There is no option for creating new players.

>  > not easily allow you to create AI players. It's also missing the CMA.
> There is
> That's on my todo list.
>  > no memory of where you last loaded the savegame from, forcing you to
> navigate
>  > to it again
> Expect a new version in a few days.

Looking forward to it. If there is someone out there willing to test it on the
other win9x, and win2k onwards.