[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Connection Dialog for Win32

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Connection Dialog for Win32
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:45:59 +0100

Raahul Kumar writes:

 > --- Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > Good. You did nice work, after all writing a whole new gui can't be
 > > easy.
 > >  > Andreas, I'm wondering how well GTK does on windows. Is there anyone
 > > providing
 > >  > a version of freeciv using gtk on windows?
 > >
 > > There is my 1.12.0 version which uses gtk without X11. But my old
 > > patch does not apply to current cvs. It is slow as hell and consumes
 > > ca. 20 times more gdi resouces than the win32 client without gtk.
 > >

 > Sounds bad. Are these problems due to the current gtk implementation? I've
 > heard
 > that the Gimp currently sucks on windows.

Yes, gdk is slow on windows. The problem is that gdk is almost a copy
of the X11 drawing API. Windows has different drawing primitives.
One example:
gdk_gc_set_mask is implemented by dividing the mask into
rectangles. These rectangles were added as a clip rect to the system.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade