Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: loading rulesets

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: loading rulesets
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:42:09 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Reinier Post wrote:
> Yes, I want this too, but the ruleset parsing code exit()s on any errors,

Yes, but how does this make it more difficult to load rulesets earlier
rather than later?

The only problem I see is if someone does just "set techs civ1", believes
he has to reload each one, and does "reload", which will probably freak
out the server because the rulesets are now internally inconsistent.

Actually I wonder if we shouldn't remove the helptext for the rulesets in
the server so that users don't start mucking around with them. If you want
to change rulesets, you would always read a script-file anyway, not set
each one separately.

And the easiest solution is to say that scripts and rulesets can only be
loaded through the --read command line option... this way we'd remove a
whole class of potential inconsistency and malloc bugs that might crop up
through a "reload".

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli