Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: loading rulesets

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: loading rulesets
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:00:32 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Reinier Post wrote:
> Yes, I suppose it's better to crash right when a ruleset load is attempted,
> than to suspend it until /start time.

Good point.

> > And the easiest solution is to say that scripts and rulesets can only be
> > loaded through the --read command line option... this way we'd remove a
> > whole class of potential inconsistency and malloc bugs that might crop up
> > through a "reload".
>
> But a 'load game' command is high on the wishlist, so I think it would
> be a step back.

But isn't a "load game" command a mediocre solution in ease of use terms,
as the Right Thing To Do is to enable the user to load games from the
client? And then, you'd choose either "load savegame" _or_ "start new
game" _before_ you fork the server anyway.

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli