Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tileset news

To: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tileset news
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:25:36 -0600

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 02:07:28AM +0100, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> On 2002-02-18 19:50:05, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> > Some new stuff on tilesets:
> >
> > I have created the 'new' set Isoengels, which (you guessed it!) is an
> > isometric version of the Engels tileset.  It's available on ftp.freeciv,
> > exactly as you'd expect.
> >
> > The next version of Lexxy (version 8), is also available by ftp.  Mostly
> > tweaks, but the galleon and carier are new.  Enjoy!
> >
> > Since we now have so many tilesets, I've posted a comparison of them at
> > http://speyer1-b.student.umd.edu/chooseset  All screenshots are of the
> > same map, and as close to the same part of it as I could manage, though
> > they look surprisingly different.
> >
> > So check it all out (or as much as interests you), and enjoy!
>
> Nice to see something happening...
> I do have som comments though...
>
> The tileset I care about is isotrident so this is about that one...
> As it is, isotrident seems somewhat smaller than trident... I'd really
> like it a bit larger... I miss the clarity of the trident tileset in
> some places (such as the forests)... Also, why did you change the hills
> and mountains? The new ones really don't have the cartoonish, clear
> style of the original trident...

I too am a fan of trident and by virtue of that isotrident.
My only real concern is the connectivity of the roads as they appear on the
screenshot (I'll have to download the thing to see firsthand).

Also consider making the east edge of the hills tile more "hilly" so it's
easier to see that it _is_ hills when somethings is on top of it.

I agree to some extent about the forests. They're just a bit too fuzzy and
need a bit more tree trunks.

A while back there was discussion to change the default tileset from hires
to trident. I believe that we should relegate hires to the
"Binaries, modpacks, tilesets etc." page on the website and have isotrident
as the default. That way newbies get the "benefit" of a isometric view but
without the turn off of the butt ugly hires (no offense to the hires fans :)

Lookin good.

-mike

PS: for screenshots, I suggest creating a area on the map that has all the
units and all the terrain and/or specials laid out.