[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Criticism

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Criticism
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 13:36:52 +0100

Dear diary, on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 02:17:01AM CET, I got a letter,
where Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> --- "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Choice want is
> >  < 0   an error, with a few hack-ceptions like (-199 == get_a_boat)
> > == 0   no want, nothing to do
> > <= 100 normal want
> >  > 100 critical want, used to requisition emergency needs
    >= 200 breath of death ;), even more emergency needs. advdomestic.c will
           reduce desire to 199 if it's more. In aicity.c we will buy that
           even if we already bought something in that turn.
> >  > ??? probably an error (1024 is a reasonable upper bound)
           IMHO 300 would be sufficient?

> This want is -199. Can you tell me more? I thought if the want > 100 we
> tended to reset it to 100. Is this commented anywhere in the code? If not,
> would you mind sending a patch to do so.
We tended to reset it to 100 if we don't want it to be bought for emergency
reasons. I.e. we certainly don't want settlers to be bought just because that
place is so incredibly great for building new city.

I would like to see comments near struct ai_choice. Currently it just says that
range is 0-100, which is obviously wrong. Maybe we can even make AI section in
freeciv hacking guide by the time ;).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv hacking
.
  "A common mistake that people make, when trying to design
   something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
   ingenuity of complete fools."
     -- Douglas Adams in Mostly Harmless
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/