[Freeciv-Dev] Sound patch v1

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Sound patch v1
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:45:51 +0100 (MET)

Hi there,

I've reworked my old sound patch from way back when(*) to the point where
it now works (well, just barely). It plays sounds for the intro, end
of turn and for wonders. It uses a new sound packet, so it breaks
backwards compatibility.

I've written support for Esound (GNOME sound daemon), aRts (KDE sound
daemon) and raw /dev/dsp, but as of now, I would not recommend using it
with anything other than Esound. Adding support for other targets should
be very easy. See "README.sound".

To use it, you also need the libaudiofile library - comes with both esound
and aRts. You also need Civ2, as you must copy its sounds into your
data/civ2 directory and start civclient with the "--audio civ2sounds.spec"
parameter. Have not started looking at the freely available sounds yet.

Outstanding issues (probably plenty more than this):
 - aRts probably broken
 - aRts and dsp targets cannot loop sound (probably no easy way to fix)
 - configure does not check for libaudiofile.h
 - poorly tested yet (bug'o'rama)
 - the patch includes my previous nitpick spelling patch (please apply!:)
 - not yet added a capability string

Please read and comment! I want feedback on the overall architecture.

Questions:
 - what other events deserve sounds? (nukes, game victory, revolution,...)
 - should all units have their own move sounds? (I think perhaps a single
move sound for all units is good enough)
 - is the architecture ok? PLEASE tell me now rather than later
 - is it well enough documented?
 - does all those file reads slow freeciv down too much? I can add some
cacheing but that will really hurt memory usage

Yours,
Per

* Yes I have looked at the four (sic!) sound patches to have arrived after
I first started mine two years ago, and found them all wanting.

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
 -- Albert  Einstein