[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patch v1

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patch v1
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:13:26 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >  - what other events deserve sounds? (nukes, game victory, revolution,...)
>
> All.

Ok.

> >  - should all units have their own move sounds? (I think perhaps a single
> > move sound for all units is good enough)
>
> All. There will be categories like ships, armor, cavalier,... but the
> sound system does have to know about these.

Ok.

> Make
>  +#define AU_NORMAL 0
>  +#define AU_LOOP 1
> an enum.

Sure, but why? (Just curious.)

> The sound_bell change is bad. Not everybody will use sound.

I figured if they don't want sound, they don't want the bell either. The
bell is unimplemented in many architectures and moving it out of the
gui-dependent part is good, IMHO.

But I'll reinstate the bell if that is what you want. The big question
then is: What should be the behaviour if audio_mute is true _and_ the
sound bell option is true? Should it be interpreted as "I just don't want
most sound but I want turn bells" or as "all sound shut up"? So far
audio_mute is only set as a run-time parameter, but it should probably be
an in-game option too. Personally I'd prefer that it takes the place of
the turn bell option.

> printf is bad.

Gone once code is stable...

> You should add PACKET_SOUND at the end.

Ok.

> I'm not sure about the alt tag. Either remove it or replace it with an
> array.

The reason it is there is to allow servers to install a modpack with extra
sounds without requiring the clients to do the same. Clients that don't
install the extra sounds get a fallback on sounds in the standard freeciv
distribution. An array is not needed. I know the alt tag looks kludgy but
it works, and there's a precendent in the graphics code (graphics also
have alt tags).

> Before this gets included you should IMHO supply non-Civ2 sounds. We
> can't ship them and we can't demand that the people have it.

Sure.

Thanks for the comments.

Yours,
Per

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
 -- Albert  Einstein