[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patch v1

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patch v1
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:27:09 +0100

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:45:51PM +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've reworked my old sound patch from way back when(*) to the point where
> it now works (well, just barely). It plays sounds for the intro, end
> of turn and for wonders. It uses a new sound packet, so it breaks
> backwards compatibility.
>
> I've written support for Esound (GNOME sound daemon), aRts (KDE sound
> daemon) and raw /dev/dsp, but as of now, I would not recommend using it
> with anything other than Esound. Adding support for other targets should
> be very easy. See "README.sound".
>
> To use it, you also need the libaudiofile library - comes with both esound
> and aRts. You also need Civ2, as you must copy its sounds into your
> data/civ2 directory and start civclient with the "--audio civ2sounds.spec"
> parameter. Have not started looking at the freely available sounds yet.
>
> Outstanding issues (probably plenty more than this):
>  - aRts probably broken
>  - aRts and dsp targets cannot loop sound (probably no easy way to fix)
>  - configure does not check for libaudiofile.h
>  - poorly tested yet (bug'o'rama)
>  - the patch includes my previous nitpick spelling patch (please apply!:)
>  - not yet added a capability string
>
> Please read and comment! I want feedback on the overall architecture.
>
> Questions:
>  - what other events deserve sounds? (nukes, game victory, revolution,...)

All.

>  - should all units have their own move sounds? (I think perhaps a single
> move sound for all units is good enough)

All. There will be categories like ships, armor, cavalier,... but the
sound system does have to know about these.

>  - is the architecture ok? PLEASE tell me now rather than later
>  - is it well enough documented?
>  - does all those file reads slow freeciv down too much? I can add some
> cacheing but that will really hurt memory usage

Make
 +#define AU_NORMAL 0
 +#define AU_LOOP 1
an enum.

The sound_bell change is bad. Not everybody will use sound.

printf is bad.

You should add PACKET_SOUND at the end.

I'm not sure about the alt tag. Either remove it or replace it with an
array.

Before this gets included you should IMHO supply non-Civ2 sounds. We
can't ship them and we can't demand that the people have it.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman