[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patch v1

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patch v1
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:39:30 +0100

On 2001-12-06 10:24:12, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> > I still don't see why you need to involve the server in the sound
> > playing... Won't the client know about all events sound might be played
> > for anyway?? I really think it's the same as for tilesets - the server
> > shouldn't concern itself with what sounds I'm playing...
> >
> > So, could you please explain your position? (once again?) :)
>
> As far as possible I will keep it in the client, but the client doesn't
> always have enough information to know when to play sounds. For example,
> it doesn't know when a wonder is built. There are three ways to solve
> this:
>
> 1. Parse the notify_player text in the client. I think this solution is
> ugly and it will be easy to break it inadvertently.
> 2. Give the client more information about what it going on (supplementing
> or replacing notify_player_*). See Raimar and Dirk's notes patch, and the
> discussion in 1999 (I think) on notify_player and why it should be
> replaced. This was my original intention, but it is a lot of work and
> there is no longer consensus for it.
> 3. Add sound packets. Easy to do, and resulting code short and easy to
> understand.

Oh...
I didn't know 2 was controversial... It certainly seems to me that it's
something we should have to make client ai easier/better/cleaner and
things such as extending the client with eg displaying an image (or a
movie :) when a wonder is finished... Seems kinda wrong to do this for
sound only when the client really _should_ know about the event for
several other reasons...

I certainly don't have to be convinced we need 2...
Who does? (need convincing) Why?

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)