[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ruleset Development Was: Development Strategies

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Josh Cogliati <jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ruleset Development Was: Development Strategies
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 01:11:57 -0500

> If freeciv actually implemented everything that was in the rulesets I
> guarantee that there would be more rulesets. (Oh, and I have looked at
> the impr-gen patch that the AC people have.  That doesn't cut it since
> it does not get rid of OLD_IMPR_TYPE_ENUM)  Freeciv does not need to be
> reimplemented, it needs to actually implement everything it claims to.
> Reimplementing freeciv's 130k of code is a major project.  Adding the
> 1-5k of code that is needed to implement the rulesets should be much more
> doable.

the point of doing a complete rewrite would be to make this as easy as
possible. it might not have been an original goal of freeciv, but it should
be a goal of fc2 - and i for one would like to see that.

anyway, yeah... we all know that it's going to be a massive project, but
that's okay. it's either this or write an application that tests the binary
encoding of a bunch of network messages for work - although i suppose i'll
have to do that eventually :)

andy