[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv 2.0 spec

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv 2.0 spec
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:59:11 -0500

never mind... apparently my ideas about development processes are just plain
crazy. its odd. some people have said we need this, and then others have
turned around and said that its bad.

maybe somebody can explain the prejudice against process - however light -
and validate their claims.

if there's actually historic evidence, can somebody please point me to an
open source project that has failed utterly because the developers wanted to
take the time to think about the *next* version and write their ideas down?
there seems to be some concensus that having a requirement/design phase is so
bad that anything written that way isn't good (enough? raimar?)

this isn't sarcasm. i'd really like to know.

and for the record... no i'm not in college. i'm an actual software engineer
and i design software for a living (a slave to the process :) and my rants
aren't coming from idealistic innocence fresh from a college course, but hard
learned lessons in practical development. i've written code both ways and i
have to say that the best software i've ever written has gone a much longer
development process than what i've proposed. so please, enlighten me.

andy