[Freeciv-Dev] freeciv 2.0 spec

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv 2.0 spec
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:29:57 -0500

all,

i'm attaching the introduction to what will hopefully be the master
requirements/design document for the freeciv 2.0 development effort. the
introduction details what i coceive as shortcomings of the current system and
defines the goals of the next generation system.

also, this looks like crap under konquerer, but looks nicer under windows.
it's built from a kword document, so blame kde ;) i'd have posted it in
latex, but kword kept crashing when i tried to export it.

PLEASE take the time to read this and comment on it. i'd like to know if i'm
missing any major goals for the next system. keep in mind that rulesets are a
feature of extensibility so they don't need mentioning yet.

also, please don't flame me on the shortcomings of the freeciv 1.x. i
understand that alot of people have put alot of time into its development,
but the problems are with the original design and execution of the project.
it just wasn't thought out.

which brings me to the real purpose of this stuff. to take freeciv and
rebuild it - except to try to think thru all the issues before we lay down
alot of code. it's only going to make it better.

andy