[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Development Strategies
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:08:31 +0100

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 09:24:33PM +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> > The current system of flags *hasn't* worked for getting all sorts of
> > interesting rulesets, so let's try changing it.
>
> A lot of things _can_ be done with the current ruleset structure, but very
> little _has_ been done. Why? I don't think the answer is as obvious as you
> try to make it appear.
>

> The one biggest problem with the current rulesets is, IMHO, that the
> number of improvements is still fixed, along with some improvement
> effects that are still hardwired (which is why the number is fixed). If we
> fix that before the next version and get some decent isometric tiles and
> some music+sound, I think this would give a lot more interest in writing
> rulesets for the effort we put into it.

Ack. The maintainers can only patches which gets submitted (hint) and
if nobody is interrested in this topic the code stays. AFAIK the AC
people have code for this.

> I'm sceptical of a full rewrite of everything. It is a bit too massive
> effort for one person, and design by commitee doesn't work for open
> source.

> I'm afraid all that talk is going to melt into thin vapour.

It looks so.

> I think there are some people here (not naming names!) who are
> taking their CS classes too seriously. Head over to KernelTrap and
> read Linus on software development instead :)

> (http://www.kerneltrap.org/article.php?sid=398&mode=thread&order=0)

Good reading.

> Oh, and if _I_ were to rewrite something, I'd go for an SDL+OpenGL client
> with libuta and various SDL support libraries (PNG,mixer,etc)...
> wooohooo, now we're talkin'!.... instantly multiplatform, even!

I wish you luck for your mutation ;)

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security.