[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] Reduce superfluous tile_info packets

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] Reduce superfluous tile_info packets
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:45:58 +0200

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 06:44:24PM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> I should have been more clear. Basically, when the CMA and other agents go
> into
> CVS, the amount of packets sent to a server that is not HOSTED on the same
> machine as the client is going to increase. There is no way around this.
> This will probably lead to a slower game.

When comparing a CMA-based player to a server-side AI player, yes.
It wasn't clear that this was the comparison you meant.
When comparing to a human player - which seems more obvious given
the limited power of the CMAs - it's not at all clear that the number
of packets will increase much.  And for the number of additional packets
added to support the CMA technique in the first place, Raimar has provided
evidence that this is actually quite a small increase.

--
Reinier