[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] Reduce superfluous tile_info packets

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] Reduce superfluous tile_info packets
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:03:35 -0400

Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 06:07:32PM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> I should have been more clear. Basically, when the CMA and other agents go
> into
> CVS, the amount of packets sent to a server that is not HOSTED on the same
> machine as the client is going to increase. There is no way around this.
> This will probably lead to a slower game.
>
> The server side AI does not care about the physical location of the machine.
> It will never need to send packets over a network to the server. The over a
> network part is the important bit.

You are correct but missing the point.

We're not talking about client-side AI's being used for every AI player (at
least, I don't think we are).  What the CMA and other agents purport to do
is take micromanagement actions out of the hands of human players.  While it
is possible this will lead to more network traffic (for instance, the
end-of-turn packet and any response-to-request packets), I don't think it is
inevitable.

jason