[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] Reduce superfluous tile_info packets

To: Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] Reduce superfluous tile_info packets
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:44:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 06:07:32PM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> >
> > --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Although I have no numbers I doubt this.
> > >

> > Take the current case. Jack is playing a freeciv game. He creates an aifill
> > of 7 players. Two different scenarions happen in the client side ai vs
> > server side
> >
> > Server side(the current way)
> > The ai never gets sent any packets about the location of its units. No
> packets
> > about anything basically. And needless to say, the slowest part of the
> equation
> > in playing Freeciv is the dial up connection. My Athlon 800 has no problem
> > with rendering the graphics, or the AI warmap maths.
> >
> > Client side(the new way)
> >
> > 7 client side AI's need at the bare minimum the info on where their cities
> > and units are. This has to be through packets.
> > The AI's need to communicate to the server the unit moves, change in city
> > production, change in worker tiles, etc etc that the server side ai does
> not.
> >
> > It is impossible for a client side AI to send as few packets as a server
> side
> > AI.
> > This is always going to be true for absolutely any game. This is not an
> > argument
> > against client side AI. After all, I quite like the agents. They're already
>
> > an important part of my gamestyle.

> IMHO "client" in "client side AI" refers to the protocol used between AI
> and server and not to the location where the AI runs. The server would
> fork and exec the AI and communicate to it like to a normal client over
> the loopback interface of the server mashine. The server will have to
> handle more packets but your client will only get the packets destinated
> to it (like befor). And the loopback device of the server should be fast
> enough to handle the packets for the AI.

I should have been more clear. Basically, when the CMA and other agents go into
CVS, the amount of packets sent to a server that is not HOSTED on the same
machine as the client is going to increase. There is no way around this.
This will probably lead to a slower game.

The server side AI does not care about the physical location of the machine.
It will never need to send packets over a network to the server. The over a
network part is the important bit.