[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server Overhaul (was Re: Re: Split patch)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server Overhaul (was Re: Re: Split patch)
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:23:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 06:40:21PM -0400, Justin Moore wrote:
> >
> > > A description what should go into commands, serverio and settings and
> > > what shouldn't go would be nice.
> >
> >    Done.
> >
> > > Otherwise I wait for the patches to comment on them.
> >
> >    In incoming/Server-Cleanup-new.tar.gz (has an extra patch on the end).
>
> It looks like a huge amount of the changes you made are code moving. I
> think that such code movements provides no real benefit. For example
> it may turn out that the partition into settings and commands is
> useless/wrong because the unification needs another partition of the
> code. I'm not sure what you have "really" changed. Can you make a
> patch which just contains these changes?
>
> I may change my opinion about the mode moving if you find interceders
> (people which agree that this is good) for this idea.

I think it's a good idea.  I can't really evaluate the patches themselves,
but I just tried to learn the existing server command structure, and found
it rather difficult.  When I concentrated down on one function, I was
fine, but the stdinhand.c file as a whole was rather overwhelming.  Maybe
the problem is me (I don't have very much experience in large projects),
but I think splitting and organizing the file would help.

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"