[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server Overhaul (was Re: Re: Split patch)

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server Overhaul (was Re: Re: Split patch)
From: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:03:28 -0400 (EDT)

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:40:52AM -0700, Arien Malec wrote:
> > Another option *is* to throw it away. Leave the current server & ruleset
> > stuff
> > & build a new unified one in parallel.
>
> I think this is a valid option.

   I would be for this, too, but in order to do this cleanly and The Right
Way (tm) we may have to break backwards compatibility.  Before people
start really fighting this one, I wouldn't advocate that we actually do
this until something approaching a later actual release or a development
release.  If necessary maybe even wait until 2.0 so we can sweep away a
lot of the old cruft in one go.

> > I haven't looked at the code server command line code, but I have looked at
> > the
> > ruleset code, and I would conclude that it's far too clever to keep. That
> > might
> > be the same case for the command-line code. That's why my question is:
> >
> > Does this re-organization help lay the platform for the unification?
>
> This is also my question. The answer is probability: nobody knows
> because nobody has done the unification yet. So can we please start
> some real work? Do we have a grammar everybody agrees upon? If the
> syntax and the semantics are fixed we can start developing the code
> (either in parallel or together) (either based upon the current code
> or from scratch).

   Looking over Arien's rules, I'd probably be fine with it.  I'd just
want to iron out some last details and maybe draw up a good outline that
we could both (or all) work from.  As a general question, who is
interested in working on the revamped server code?

-jdm

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin@xxxxxxxxxxx