[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [CMA 2.3] General question

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [CMA 2.3] General question
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:08:10 +0200

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 04:08:07AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> Does my suggested change to MAX_CITY_SIZE fix the bug with the CMA not
> handling
> cities above size 30?

Which bug?

> IMO the CMA is starting to look good. Should probably consider
> including it in CVS if another maintainer agrees.
>
> Ontopic: Where are all the Freeciv maintainers? I've noticed by reading the
> changelog that you are the only one who seems to be applying patches. Everyone
> else seems to be MIA. Are you the only maintainer left now?

It looks so. Vasc is on daily at irc. Vasc has sent a mail to all
maintainers suggesting some names. No responses (this was 4 days
ago). So it looks like I have to choose but I'm highly unsure.

> I've been considering aircraft goto:
>
> 1) Am not going to use Djikstra, after all a fixed search space with fixed
> movement cost. Considering A*.
>
> 2) Cannot figure out how to unify tri-reme and aircraft,missile code like
> you suggested earlier. Hints?

For each position track the amount of fuel available. The code should
honors this:

      case AIR_MOVING:
      case HELI_MOVING:
        if (warmap.cost[x1][y1] <= warmap.cost[x][y])
          continue; /* No need for all the calculations */
+       if(fuel_available<=0)
+         continue;

In addition to the current 8 possible choices ( adjc_dir_iterate(x, y,
x1, y1, dir) ) add a new one which refuels the plane and increment the
cost by one turn.

> 3) The -3 movement cost has always bothered me. I don't think it's necessary.

> The railroad move cost of 0 also bothers me(maybe a railroad unit
> can only move 10 squares init, with maglev can move 15). Remove it

No. I won't allow such change just to get a better algorithm.

> and we can go from Djikstra to a cheaper and faster algorithm for
> warmap generation.

No. The railroad isn't the problem. You just take the number of
railroad steps as a part of the cost.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "SIGDANGER - The System is likely to crash soon"