[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Question on Border-Patch

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Question on Border-Patch
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 04:54:06 -0400

Bert Buchholz wrote:

> On 05.10 02:22, Stewart Adcock wrote:
> > Bert Buchholz wrote:
> > > As you state in your description, workers can only be set on owned tiles
> > > (inside the borders). If you build a city at the ocean, like this:
> > >
> > >       O O o
> > >     L L O O o
> > >     L L C O O
> > >     L L L L O
> > >       L L o
> >
> > Or even:
> >
> >       o o o
> >     L L O O o
> >     L L C O o
> >     L L L L o
> >       L L o
> >
> > > the fields marked with 'o' are inside the city-radius but not inside
> > > your borders. Only the ocean-tiles adjacent to the city are inside the
> > > borders, the rest is so that you can't put workers on them. Maybe I
> > > overlooked something in your description, but what way can one get
> > > workers on these tiles? Is this a feature or a bug? ;-)
> >
> > This is an intentional "feature", although I'm not sure whether it is
> > the correct thing to do, or not.  In vanilla freeciv+patch you are
> > unable to put workers on those non-coastal ocean tiles.  In SMAC, and
> > hence freecivAC, you can have water bases (i.e. cities in the oceans) so
> > those tiles could be in your territory and therefore useable.

In SMAC, land cities registered no "territory" in the sea (and vice
versa), but this didn't stop them from harvesting the land (and sea
cities could harvest land squares the same way).  The solution is
simple: allow harvesting of land that is either yours or unclaimed.
Only for enemy territory can you not harvest.

jason