[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Question on Border-Patch

To: Stewart Adcock <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Question on Border-Patch
From: Bert Buchholz <bertbuchholz@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 03:59:10 +0200

On 05.10 02:22, Stewart Adcock wrote:
> Bert Buchholz wrote:
> > As you state in your description, workers can only be set on owned tiles
> > (inside the borders). If you build a city at the ocean, like this:
> >
> >       O O o
> >     L L O O o
> >     L L C O O
> >     L L L L O
> >       L L o
>
> Or even:
>
>       o o o
>     L L O O o
>     L L C O o
>     L L L L o
>       L L o
>
> > the fields marked with 'o' are inside the city-radius but not inside
> > your borders. Only the ocean-tiles adjacent to the city are inside the
> > borders, the rest is so that you can't put workers on them. Maybe I
> > overlooked something in your description, but what way can one get
> > workers on these tiles? Is this a feature or a bug? ;-)
>
> This is an intentional "feature", although I'm not sure whether it is
> the correct thing to do, or not.  In vanilla freeciv+patch you are
> unable to put workers on those non-coastal ocean tiles.  In SMAC, and
> hence freecivAC, you can have water bases (i.e. cities in the oceans) so
> those tiles could be in your territory and therefore useable.

Hmm, I see. I just think, this really reduces the potential of coastal
cities. If your city is on a very small island, in the worst case, you
might even lose 12 squares. Even with a harbour you might get quite some
problems of growing this city to anything larger than maybe 10 or 12.

I think, the borders on the ocean should at least cover the complete
city-square, possibly even a radius of 3. Every country IRL claims the
sea several dozen (or hundreds, dunno) kilometers away from their
coastline as their territorial waters. For me, it would make more sense
in any way to expand borders on the ocean.

Bert